Friday, 30 December 2011


Me and Julie had a 3 day break booked in the Royal Victoria Hotel in Llanberis and we set off early to walk up Foel Goch in the Arenig's with a good forecast predicted.We stopped at the Rhug Estate for breakfast on a beautiful sunny morning,but looking east the sky was very dark.After our bacon batch we set off for Llangwm but we soon hit very heavy rain and leaden skies so i decided to carry on down the A5 to see if the weather was any better.Although it did stop raining all the summit's were shrouded in low cloud so i pulled into the Conwy Falls Cafe car park with the intention of doing a low level walk.After gaining permission from the cafe owner to leave the car there we got our gear on and set off down the B4406 and stopped on the bridge that span's the Afon Conwy to admire the river in spate.

We walked a short distance down the road and then turned right to cross the Afon Machno near the dis-used Woollen Mill.

Julie spotted the old "Roman Bridge" a short distance away.

With camera in my right hand i said to Julie "i'm going down to the roman bridge to get a closer look",i stepped through a gap in the wall and started to descend the path,then i slipped,both my leg's went up and i fell on my backside and as you do i put my hand's out to stop myself and my new camera hit the ground.I quicky jumped up and the first thing i did was to check my camera but luckily no damage was caused,phew.I thought i was ok but later in the walk i started to get a pain in my right knee and forearm,but nothing serious.We continued down the lane to pass the dis-used Pandy Mill to reach the confluence of the Machno and Conwy river's.

Continuing down the lane you get a good view of Dinas Mawr across the valley.

Heading for the A470 now we soon reached our third river,the Afon Lledr.

A new cycle/walking path has been layed to take you safely along the busy A470 to bring you out by the Fairy Glen Hotel.

With us still having plenty of time before checking in to the hotel we decided to visit the Fairy Glen Gorge so we walked up the lane and paid our 50 pence in the honesty box and took the well laid out path up river to see the gorge.

Leaving the Glen we continued up the muddy lane,made worse by the ongoing work to repair the stone wall.

The path did improve higher up thankfully.

Just before we reached the A5 near the cafe i took a few more photo's.

Although overcast it didn't rain and we had tea and victoria cake in the cafe before heading to our hotel.This lovely little walk was 4 mile long with 750 feet of ascent.

MILEAGE     464.5
ASCENT       113,850
TOPS             108.

No comments:

Post a Comment